We made this for dinner last night. It was so good I want to have it again tonight, but alas, it is all gone. Thanks to onegreenplanet.org for the recipe!
CILANTRO AVOCADO CHICKPEA SALAD TACOS
- 1 can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, mashed
- ½ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- ½ T lime juice
- 2 T Bragg Liquid Aminos (or tamari/soy sauce)
- ½ tsp olive oil
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 corn tortillas
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat for about 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the Bragg Liquid Aminos and cook until liquid is dissolved, stirring frequently. If it starts to stick, lower the heat. When the chickpeas are done, they should be a darker brown, with a slightly toasted exterior. Remove from heat and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- In the pan, use a fork to lightly mash the chickpeas. It should be mashed, with chunks of beans throughout.
- The mashed avocado should be in a medium/large bowl. Add the chickpeas and the remaining ingredients, minus the salt and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined. Taste and then add salt and pepper if you want (I don’t add any at all). You can make this a day in advance to save on prep time later. Just refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
Spoon the avocado chickpea salad into the taco shells. Garnish with tomato, cilantro, green onion, or just salsa, and serve at room-temp. Enjoy!
We served this with jicama and kohlrabi “chips” instead of taco shells. Can’t wait to make it again!